What you need to know to make affiliate marketing a success
A guest post by Emma Jackson.
Do you want to dive into the affiliate marketing business?
If yes, then this article is going to be your guide to success. For many people who do not know the crux of affiliate marketing, it is something which is out of their reach.
But if you can gather all the information you need, affiliate marketing can change your life for the better. So without further ado, let us dive into the step-by-step process of affiliate marketing and how it can be a success.
What is affiliate marketing?
Do you remember when companies used to hire salespeople for door to door marketing? The more products these salespersons used to sell, the more commissions they used to get. Affiliate marketing is something similar.
Affiliate marketing is a process in which you promote the products or services of an organisation online and in return get a commission for it. Any organisation that wants to promote its products or services runs an affiliate program.
It decides the terms and conditions of the affiliate program such as how much commission will be offered, when the commission will be credited, who can become an affiliate, and so on. As an affiliate marketer, you need to sign up for the program and share the products and services to earn a commission.
Quite simple, isn’t it? Let me share the stepwise process with you.
How does affiliate marketing work?
- When an affiliate marketer joins a program, they receive an ID and a URL to promote the products.
- They may use this URL in their blog or anywhere else on their website.
- Once a user will click on the URL, a cookie is stored in their web browser. This cookie keeps the track of whether the user makes a purchase using that URL. Now, this cookie can remain active for days and even for weeks.
- If the user makes a purchase the merchant will check their cookie and if their cookie contains an affiliate ID, the affiliate will be credited with a commission.
- After a stipulated time, the merchant provides the total commission earned by the affiliate
Well, the real question is how to make all this happen?
Simple 3-step guide to start affiliate marketing
#1 Choose a platform
So how do you want to promote your affiliate products or services?
You can choose any platform like Facebook, Instagram, your website or blog. Generally, there are two popular platforms for affiliate marketing: blog and youtube channel. This is because it is much easier to get to more traffic via your blog or a youtube channel.
You can easily insert affiliate links and promote someone’s products. If you want to choose Facebook or Instagram, then influencer marketing would be the best. Well, that’s just my opinion. The choice is yours, my friend!
I also found some of the statistics for you regarding affiliate marketing. Hope they are insightful for you:
- Almost every other brand (80%) has an affiliate program these days.
- Blogging is chosen by nearly 65% of affiliate marketers to generate more traffic.
- 94% of affiliate marketers use different marketing networks.
- Only 68% of affiliate marketers connect with their customers on social media.
#2 Find your niche
Competition is tough in the online world. No matter which category you choose, there will be tons of content creators out there trying to entertain the world. This is not to scare you. But, you need to find your niche so you can create an identity amongst your competitors.
To find your niche, just focus on a specific category about which you can create content. For example, choosing to be a food blogger is quite an enormous category. Instead, you can focus on a particular type of food, like grilled food, vegan recipes, chocolate recipes and so on.
Choosing a niche allows you to target a specific audience, create more sorted, specific content and create an identity at the same time.
#3 Find an affiliate program
Once you have chosen a niche and created a platform where you can connect with an audience, you can join an affiliate program.
Wait! Who says only one? You can join as many affiliate programs as you want. But, the real deal is how you choose the one that benefits you.
Broadly speaking, there could be a variety of affiliate programs online:
- Low-Volume, High-Payment: these kinds of programs are strictly for a specific audience, but they pay you quite a good amount in return
- High-Volume, Low-Payment: these kinds of programs are for the masses, but they pay you less
- High-Volume, High-Payment: these are the programs that every affiliate would like, they are built for the masses and they also pay good money
To decide which program you must join, check your content and the target audience. See which products they would like to know more about or which services they need. Bring to their attention what they might want and success is yours.
Again, the quality of your content is a huge factor in determining your affiliate marketing success, which takes me to my next point.
How to get clicks on your affiliate links?
Remember, content is king!
This will drive people to your platform, whether it is a blog or a YouTube channel. If you are not creating content which people want, you might just be sitting out there, waiting for an audience.
So start creating content. Here are few suggestions on what types of content you can create for affiliate marketing:
- Product reviews: You do not have to be a critic here. Just give your own opinion.
- Product comparisons: You can compare two or more products. It would be quite informative for your audience.
- Tutorials: Can you show everyone how to use a product? Try tutorials, people like them.
- Informative blog post: Simply create a blog post telling your audience about the benefits of a product.
- Create a video: Videos are a great way to express yourself and attract your audience. Try saying something about your affiliate product or create a video tutorial.
- Email series: It is found to be one of the most effective ways of affiliate marketing.
Are there any other things that matter?
Well, yes! Here are a few more tips to get clicks on your affiliate links.
- Placement of affiliate links: If you are placing your affiliate link only at the bottom of your blog post or website, chances are people might not scroll through your blog. Even if they would, they might miss the link in the end.
- Think about the context: Place your affiliate links based on the context. For instance, if you are comparing the two latest mobile phones. You can place the affiliate link in the heading, or below their image.
- Highlight to attract an audience: You may create separate call-outs to highlight your affiliate links as well. This will help the customers identify them easily.
So this was my bit on the fundamentals of affiliate marketing, ensuring it can be a success for you! But, you should not think everything I mentioned here would happen in just a few days. Sometimes it takes a long time just to find the right audience.
In all, affiliate marketing is all glitters and all gold, if you work upon it patiently.
About the author
Emma Jackson is specialist in content writing, blogging and exploring new topics. Emma is also a part contributor of GoAssignmentHelp which provides assignment writing service. She loves to write topics like marketing, education and assignment services and knows every bit about blogging and other tools which boost marketing.
Latest posts by Alice Elliott (see all)
- 9 strategies for making money online using a blog - 21 July 2021
- A beginner’s guide to understanding marketing - 16 July 2021
- 10 blogging tips to ensure maximised social shares for your posts - 15 July 2021
- How digital marketing affects consumer behaviour - 14 July 2021