How to stay healthy and stylish at work
A contributed post by Joseph Peake.
Technology has changed how we spend our days, and this includes whether we are healthy or stylish at work.
Not so very long ago, our daily activities would have included lots of walking, twisting, bending and generally moving around. However, nowadays we spend a considerable amount of the day sitting. And for many people, that means sitting in front of a computer screen.
Sitting down for long periods of time does you no favours, and while a computer can save you time, it is also a risk to your health. What’s more, all this sitting down at work also restricts what you can wear, so staying stylish can be difficult.
So, what’s the solution? Below are the best ways to stay both healthy and stylish at work:
Position your monitor correctly
I bet you haven’t thought about how to position your computer’s monitor correctly on your desk. This might explain why you’re suffering from headaches, a stiff neck and pain in your shoulders. This certainly isn’t contributing towards being stylish at work.
Your body will thank you once you find the perfect position. The top of the screen should be level with your eyes. This means your eyes are looking down around 10 degrees. Any higher or lower and you’ll have to move your head more. Plus, your head will be pointing down more if your screen is too low.
Move around more
Our lives have become more sedentary, so if you’re also sitting down for most of the day being stylish at work, how you should make the effort to move around more?
- Try various positions throughout the working day by getting up and walking away from your workstation as often as you can.
- Persuade your office manager to look into providing standing desks and treadmill desks, so you and your colleagues get more variety and movement.
- Walk to the canteen to get a coffee rather than having one sitting at your desk.
- Go visit a colleague’s workstation for a conversation rather than emailing or phoning them.
Stylish at work attire
Work dress codes have evolved over the years. Many offices now insist on smart casual work wear. This can be confusing if there is no dress code. However, whether you can wear your jeans to work depends on whether your office is open to customers. Smart casual tends to include things that are trendy regarding colour and fabrics.
If your office insists on a professional dress code, there is still room to be stylish at work. Lean towards the more neutral colour range, and add pop with colourful accessories. Scarfs, bags and jewellery are essential, but you might also want to consider adding stylish glasses to your collection. You can do this by buying your glasses online from various reputable online stores such as Mister Spex.
Are you both healthy and stylish at work?
It’s important to take care of yourself when you’re sitting at a computer all day long. A few simple changes or modifications to your workstation can make all the difference. And there’s no need to compromise on being stylish at work as well, as long as it doesn’t impede on the work that you do.
Latest posts by Alice Elliott (see all)
- Healthy tips for bloggers who work from home all day - 16 April 2019
- How freelance creatives can minimise risk - 15 April 2019
- What the best authors can teach us about blogging - 14 April 2019
- How to take care of your eyesight as a blogger - 19 March 2019