What you need to know about SEO practices in 2020
A guest post by Andrew Raso.
Sydney is the largest Australian startup hub, with around 35% of the nation’s startups, which is followed by Melbourne at 14% and Brisbane at 9%.
One common thing about these startups is most don’t start with aggressive marketing, they usually start with SEO practices. Search engine optimisation is a dynamic and fast-paced field, and it can be quite frustrating if you’re still using outdated tactics that do not work anymore. It is thus important to learn and stay well-informed about the latest tactics of SEO practices.
In 2020, SEO became more complex than before. It is much more than revising old content, building links or adding a few target keywords for improving organic search rankings. Professionals that do SEO in Sydney suggest that every local business needs to find a great service provider that can take its online presence to the next level.
In this comprehensive guide, we will talk about what exactly is SEO and how it can be used to create better visibility for your brand or business.
What are SEO practices?
SEO is the process of improving the position of a website or blog in the search engine results page (SERP). Within SEO practices, the organic search results are considered and the higher your website is on the SERP, the more would be its visibility.
The SEO history goes back to the 90s. This was the period when search engines had started emerging for the first time. Today, SEO is considered as an essential marketing strategy to get more traffic to your website and generate higher revenue. Marketers apply different SEO techniques according to the goals of the business, however, the main idea behind it remains the same – to rank higher in organic searches.
How does SEO work?
There are three main components of search engine optimisation. These components, along with what they do, are as follows:
- Crawling: Crawling is the process of scanning the website, including its content, keywords, hyperlinks, headings, and images with the help of several small bots. All the data present on the website is crawled. Most of the crawlers can detect hypertext links on a website that take a user to another website.
- Indexing: After a website is crawled, indexing takes place. Indexing can be understood as a giant library that contains websites from across the globe. However, it can take between 1 to 10 days for a website to be indexed. The updates on a website wouldn’t be visible on search engines till they are indexed.
- Choosing results: SEO results are important for both users as well as developers. After a user enters a search query, the respective search engine shuffles through the index and takes out the best matching results for the user.
Detailed guide to search engine optimisation (SEO)
For a proper understanding of SEO practices, we have compiled the various tactics and strategies that can help you in getting more traffic to your website from search engines.
1. Keywords research and keyword intent
Keyword research is an important step while creating new content and working on the SEO of a website. This refers to identifying the key terms that the people are searching for. Including keywords in your website would help your website to rank higher when users search for it. There are several factors on which keyword research depends, one of them being the search intent of the user. Keyword intent is the reason why the users are making such a search.
2. On-page optimisation
After making a keyword list, you need to include these keywords in your website’s content. Where you place a keyword on your website can also impact your SEO ranking. The different on-page elements that can be used to optimise a page are as follows:
- Title Tag: The title tag is not the main headline of the website. It is what you see at the top of the browser and is populated using the source code of the page.
- Meta Description: This is what people see when your website is listed in search results. Having a compelling description of the page when it is listed in search results is a great way to attract traffic to your website.
- Body Content: This is the actual content of the page. While the body content should be unique, it should also be engaging and shareable.
3. Technical SEO
Technical SEO is one of the most important parts of an inbound marketing strategy. When you know how well the website performs, it becomes easier to fix various problems and ensure better traffic quality. In order to do this, you need to run a website audit at least once a month.
When you do this, you ensure that everything is working fine. You can use free tools like Google Search Console as they are helpful in this regard. It can help detect problems as well as help fix them.
Investing in technical SEO helps improve user experience and ensures the website is working seamlessly. This helps motivate people to spend more time on your website and carry on reading the content. Additionally, this will help you rank your website higher in Google searches.
4. Execute content marketing and link building
Creation and promotion of useful content are what content marketing is all about. This includes adding the keywords and terms that you want to rank for. This will also help you in building links and promoting your website on different platforms.
Link building ensures that your website can reach a huge audience by making it discoverable. Ensuring that you are of use to smart content creators would help you in building powerful relationships as you create content.
5. Local SEO and mobile SEO guide
Local SEO is about optimising your business website in a way that can be found in local searches easily. It is a process to enhance your website in order to help it rank better for your local target audience.
When you have a business website, it allows you to target the whole digital space. However, if your target audience is located around your business, then it is a great idea to practice local SEO.
Mobile SEO is another practice wherein you can optimise your website for smartphone and tablet users across the globe. As there is an increased number of mobile users, it is important to ensure that you optimise your website for mobile SEO practices.
6. Visual search and voice search optimisation
Voice search is a voice recognition technology that helps people in performing searches by speaking into the device. The devices can range from computers and smartphones to other home assistant devices.
Voice search has grown tremendously over the last few years, especially with the growth of smartphone users. This is because it is easier to command a search through voice than to type on a tiny screen. This is why all the major producers of mobile devices and software developers are investing in the development of effective and accurate voice-activated personal assistants and tools.
Similarly, we can also see an increase in visual search wherein users can search for a particular product or service using its visual environment. This is especially useful when you are searching for a particular item on the internet.
7. Optimise for featured snippets
Featured snippets are short text selections in a website that improve its ranking in search engines and impact SEO. They impact SEO in two ways. First, they provide an opportunity for the website to get a greater number of clicks from organic search results. Secondly, they also increase the “no-click searches”, i.e., the searches in which a user does not click on any search result.
8. Track and measure SEO results
Keeping track and measuring the SEO results is important to find out whether you are on the right track. This can be done using different metrics such as keyword rankings, organic traffic, sales and so on.
Are you ready to cope with SEO practices?
With the above guide, you have gained a lot of information about SEO practices and its basics. Many experts claim that learning about SEO basics is the first step towards achieving online business goals. The above guide has been designed keeping this in mind and thus provides comprehensive information about SEO and its basics.
About the author
Andrew Raso is the CEO and one of the founding members of OMG SEO Sydney. He has a long illustrious career in the SEO and SEM industry and has written for many prestigious websites.
Latest posts by Alice Elliott (see all)
- Five tips for a powerful content strategy to generate business leads - 21 April 2021
- How minimalist design can increase conversions on your blog - 20 April 2021
- 9 techniques to grow your social media marketing presence - 11 April 2021
- How to find your competitor’s keywords - 10 April 2021