A guest post by Emma Grace.
Website visibility is an essential metric in search engine rankings. Search engines like Google and Bing employ techniques and processes to ensure websites most pertinent to user intentions become readily available. The higher the visibility, the more likely a website will grab a top rank in the search results and attract more organic traffic.
Every website wants to grab the number one rank or at least the top-tier ranks. It’s pretty natural as higher page or search rankings result in better website visibility. Everyone engages in campaigns and implements tactics to improve their website visibility.
So what factors affect visibility? How does one improve the visibility of one’s web content? Are visibility and search ranking the same, and how does SEO affect website visibility?
This article attempts to answer these questions & more.
Core concepts of website content visibility
Website visibility is a crucial metric which provides a single, universal index for measuring and comparing the online performance of different websites and domains. This metric is a key performance indicator for measuring a webpage’s visibility or the ranking of URLs in organic search engine results.
Search engine optimisation plays a critical role in determining a website’s visibility. Optimising and managing certain factors allows a search engine to rank a website’s content high. SEO visibility is a technical term coined by major data and marketing analytics firms such as Search Metrics, Ahrefs, Moz, etc.
The higher a URL ranks, the better the visibility becomes. Different URLs may rank well for keywords with high search volume for a particular domain. Websites that make it to the top grab user attention faster attract more traffic and have better CTRs.
Several data points figure into the visibility metrics of a website:
- Search volume of relevant keywords
- Ranking position and ranking frequencies of domain URLs (that is, how often and in what position URL ranks)
- Click-through rates (the ratio of clicks vs. impressions; higher CTR means more traffic)
- Relevancy of website content
- Responsiveness of webpage design
Everyone wants to be more visible online and not without reason, vying for more visibility, traffic, leads and sales.
So, if you are looking to improve yours, here are some potent tips and insights.
Solid tips to improve the visibility of any website content
Looking for some extra clicks and more traffic? Here are some tips and tricks to beef up URL visibility.
1. Improve search visibility of pages with potential
It is quite easy and a significant folly to dismiss low-ranking pages as no good. However, with some effort and intelligent content optimisation, these low-hanging fruits can bring in a lot of traffic and improve domain visibility and business reputation.
Prioritising the improvement of a low-ranking website’s visibility can offer major business opportunities. One must consider certain things before investing their time and effort:
- The page’s relevancy for the business is a significant factor. Is the effort worth the reward? Pages that can bring in a lot of traffic with a boost in visibility are worth working on. URLs with high volume and low competition keywords are the best candidates.
- Is there any scope for improvement?
The domain rating and backlink profile of top-ranked pages are other major factors. Competing with sites with authoritative backlinks and many referring domains involves a lot of effort and determining the overall scope of improvement.
- Factors that improve search visibility align closely with user intent. As per Google’s ranking algorithms, quality content with healthy keyword usage, rich information and relevancy with user intent work best.
Choosing the correct URLs for visibility and ranking improvement is a preliminary and essential step.
2. Update content often and make things relevant
User intent is a crucial aspect of search engine ranking. User search intent is the main goal someone has while searching for something online.
Satisfying search intent is Google’s #1 goal, and it should be the objective of every webpage. According to Backlinko, Google has made search intent an essential aspect of their ranking logic and further states how search intent is revolutionising the digital marketing funnel.
Updating content is a major contributing factor when it comes to improving website visibility. Coschedule states blogs with frequent updates are two times more likely to grab traffic. Adding new sources, updating information, including images and tables, and using interactive elements, can help a website become more relevant to user search intent.
Google offers a freshness boost to any URL with frequently updated content.
3. Offer something unique and valuable
As competition rises, website content starts to resemble each another very drastically. Competing businesses employ similar set of tools and content strategies. As a result, users become one-dimensional and monotonous as they encounter near-indistinguishable content with few differences.
Creative and unique slants can spice up content and make things more engaging. Crafting content differently and approaching a topic from varying perspectives are effective strategies for improving visibility.
Dwell time is a crucial UX signal which has become a significant visibility factor. Google checks how much time users spend on a website when it is a good match for a particular keyword.
Websites with high dwell times are ranked higher than those with lower dwell times. Relevant, engaging, and informative content, alongside proper web design and page layout, boost dwell time and reduce bounce rates.
Make your content unique and valuable to keep your audience hooked to watch your visibility increase!
4. Optimise the meta-description
A study by Ahrefs reveals that optimised meta-descriptions can help pages stand out in search results. Visibility improves as ranking algorithms prioritise URLs with compelling and well-crafted meta-descriptions. Well-crafted meta-tags with relevant search keywords increase search traffic by 54%.
While optimising meta-tags, one must make sure:
- Include the exact and main keywords in the title of the website content, sub-headlines, and meta-description;
- Using keywords in exact format across the page content for the best impressions
5. Focus on long tail keywords
Keyword research is crucial.
Competing for high volume and highly competitive keywords is extremely difficult. Forget better visibility; even rising the ranks for high volume-high competition keyword domains will require substantial effort and active long-drawn SEO campaigns.
It is best to target long-tail keywords with low levels of competition. These keywords can bring in a decent amount of traffic without compelling you to overhaul your SEO tactics completely. In addition, lower competition ensures higher visibility and a steady flow of niche traffic.
The above five tips stand out as the most prominent ones for improving website content visibility. However, here are a few more handy tricks to boost visibility.
- Make your website responsive and mobile-friendly
- Integrate and incorporate varied multimedia like short-form videos, images, animations, etc
- Grab backlinks from authoritative websites with high Domain Authority
- Add LSI (Latent Semantic Indexing) keywords to catch the attention of Google’s latest machine learning-powered ranking algorithms and crawlers
- Do more internal linking
- Speed up website loading times
- Carry out a frequent technical SEO audit
- Work to improve the domain authority of your URLs
- Interlink with your social media pages
Well, that’s all the space we have for today. Hope this was an informative write-up for one and all. Remember, content and consumer are kings, so continually develop content which caters to your consumers the best.
About the author
Emma Grace is a digital marketing professional from a major software consultancy firm in Wisconsin, the USA. She is also a part-time article writer at MyAssignmenthelp.com, a global academic service plagiarism free essays provider.